It’s almost that time of the year again… Where the music is the loudest, the bitches are the baddest, and the parties are hardest. An event SO epic that it requires literally every minute of the day for six days straight, to give the people what they are promised: a good f*cking time. Although some of these tips might seem repetitive from years passed, most of y’all still manage to come unprepared. I hope this jumbled, overloaded mess of information can help you.
1) Carry a backpack. If you’re worried about it “not matching your outfit”, you’re worried about all the wrong things. What you really should be worried about is having a survival kit. A valid ID, toothbrush, new underwear, deodorant, phone charger, WATER; these are just a few essentials. “But a toothbrush and underwear…?” you might ask… YES. Be real, y’all. Austin alone is ranked number four for the best looking population in the United States of Sweet America… Mix that with people from all over the world, and you’re bound to pull a baddie… Sometimes, pulling a baddie, results in not knowing where you’ll end up that night. BE PREPARED.
2) Don’t act Hollywood. Network for yourself. It’s okay to wear your shades at night, if you really feel that it’s necessary, but don’t make them turn you into a wannabe superstar. Everyone loves a humble, fun-loving person.
3) FIND A PLACE TO CRASH WAAAY AHEAD OF TIME! The nicer hotels near downtown will be booked. ALL of them. So here are a few other options:
-Don’t act bougie. Book a sh*tty hotel that’s a little further north… you’ll be aaaight.
-Make a friend. Crash on their floor.
-Stay in a HOE’s-tel… Catch my drift…?
4) Eat EVERYTHING (pause)! Austin has some of the best food E-V-E-R. Street vendors will be on every corner serving up some good stuff. Also, if you’re looking for a 24-hour joint: Kerbey Lane, Magnolia Cafe, 24 Diner, Star Seeds, Whataburger… To name a few.
5) Don’t get SO drunk that you don’t remember who you met the night before… They could have been someone important. There’s nothing wrong with gettin’ a little sh*tty… But try to steer clear of becoming extremely inebriated.
6) Wear comfortable clothes. It is absolutely possible to have your swag on a milli (I can’t believe I used that phrase publicly) yet still be comfortable. Sneakers, boots, flats, tank tops, light jackets, cargo’s… Jorts for you hipsters.
7) If driving, learn how to boss hog the lanes… You’re in Texas; It’s kind of a requirement. There will be disgusting traffic throughout the day.
8) Carry CA$H! You will need it for parking, food, drinks, etc. Just don’t lose that sh*t.
9) Watch out for WilCo. Williamson County Police don’t play! Be a smart criminal! I am.
10) DON’T THINK YOU NEED A BADGE OR A WRISTBAND JUST TO GET INTO EVENTS! Over the past two years, Unofficial SXSW events have started to take over. Just look out for showcases, pay attention to fliers, trust word-of-mouth.
**PLEASE ADD #SXSWtips OF YOUR OWN AND RE-POST THIS.
Muthaf*ckin' SXSW 2012 (Music)! Tips on tips on tips.
never talk bad about the niggas you eat with